The City of Valparaiso offers all residents and businesses premium solid waste services. We do ask for some assistance to help us to continue operating efficiently, please take into consideration the following:
- All cans must be no larger than 32 gallons in size.
- Please put your can in the same location each day.
- Please bag all trash; this prevents garbage from being scattered.
- Please place broken glass in taped, cardboard box before disposal in your trash.
- For the safety and welfare of our employees, medical waste must be placed in a sealed container before being put in the garbage.
- Please do not place items for pickup on vacant or privately owned lots.
Generally defined as kitchen waste: anything used in the preparation of food, including but not limited to, foods, food containers and non-recyclable wrappers.
Residential customers are asked to place garbage cans on the street curb or on the side or rear of the residence by 6am day of scheduled pick up.
City employees are prohibited from entering closed areas.
Residential pickup is twice weekly, Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday.
Commercial pickup is three times weekly, Monday/Wednesday/Friday.
Schools are serviced daily.
Schedules are adjusted for holidays.
If your address falls within the BLUE area your pick up days are Tuesday and Friday.
If your address falls within the RED area your pickup days are Monday and Thursday.
Divided into two categories:
- Old furniture, miscellaneous household items, boxes/cardboard and other items too large to fit into a 32 gallon trash can. This type of trash is collected normally once a week and must be place in front of the residence, curbside, not in the street on your scheduled garbage day or Wednesday.
- Yard foliage, grass cuttings, tree limbs (four (4) inches in diameter and smaller) and hedge clippings.
Yard debris pickup is designed to be a service to residents for routine maintenance of your yard. By ordinance it is the responsibility of the homeowner or contractor to remove debris from contracted services or lot clearing. Contractors are not permitted to utilize residential City services as a means of removal for commercial work performed at any location within or outside of the City of Valparaiso. City crews are not permitted to remove debris generated in either of these circumstances.
It is important to keep yard debris separate from other trash. The City uses specialized equipment to pickup and process your yard debris. There can be no foreign material mixed in with the yard debris. Objects such as furniture, garden hoses, etc. can damage equipment and should not be placed in yard debris piles.
All construction and remodeling debris must be removed by the owner or contractor per City ordinance. City crews are not permitted under any circumstances to remove construction debris.