The City of Valparaiso operates and maintains Sunset Cemetery with the intent of providing a facility with attractive features that will present a neat, clean and pleasing appearance to those visiting the Cemetery. The city trusts that your choice of Sunset for internment of a loved one, or as your final resting-place, will make you aware of the need for operational guidelines. To assist with the management and maintenance of sunset, the following rules have been adopted. We ask your cooperation in obeying these rules, and offer our services to answer any questions or concerns you may have.Carl Clark – Caretaker
(850) 389-2092 x3005 firstname.lastname@example.org
Rules and Regulations
Flowers, Plants, Trees & Shrubs
- No new permanent plantings are allowed in the Cemetery, as the City cannot be responsible for their upkeep. Existing plantings will not be removed, contingent with conditions listed in paragraph b.
- The Cemetery shall have the right to exercise its judgment in the removal of any existing tree, shrub or plant, or part thereof, that becomes detrimental, by means of its roots, branches, or otherwise.
- One (I) portable container OR one (1) potted plant per grave is allowed.
- Holders containing flowers or other decorations will be removed as soon as the flowers fade and wither and the Cemetery reserves the right to make such removal. Also, artificial flowers will be removed at such time as is specified by the Caretaker of the Cemetery. The Cemetery shall keep such holders, at the risk of the owner, for a period of ten (10) days from the date of removal. If the owner fails to collect said holders within ten (10) days, said owner thereby forfeits all rights, title and interest in said holders and the Cemetery may dispose of same in any way it deems best.
Enclosures, Borders, Fences, Etc.
- No enclosure or border of any kind, such as a fence or bricks, will be permitted in or around gravesites. Only approved coping will be installed in or around gravesites designated for coping. No coping is allowed in the West area. All coping will be installed within the plot or grave limits in a manner as not to disturb city installed space markers. Qualified professionals experienced in monument construction and installation will perform all work. Only granite, marble, etc., will be installed in coped areas. Benches of granite or marble will be allowed in coped areas. No concrete benches will be allowed.
- No wooden or cast iron bench or chair, or any wooden or wire trellis, shall be permitted to be brought upon the grounds.
Display of the U. S. Flag.
- The U. S. Flag may be displayed at gravesites on Veterans Holidays for a period of Thirty (30) days. After this period, they should be removed. Only all weather type flags should be used for this occasion. The Cemetery reserves the right to remove all flags that have become faded, weathered, or unsightly.
- Persons will not leave their automobiles on the Cemetery grounds unattended, except when visiting a gravesite or in attendance at a funeral.
- Speed over 15 miles per hour will not be permitted and no person shall either ride or drive upon the grass.
- No person shall be permitted within the Cemetery on a mini-bike motorcycle, or moped.
- No dogs or animals of any kind shall be permitted in the-Cemetery, except seeing eye dogs, or those specified by the Caretaker.
- No person shall be permitted to bring or carry firearms within the Cemetery, except a Military Guard of Honor, and then only under the command of an Officer and during a Military Service. This provision does not apply to law enforcement officers acting in the line of duty.
- All persons are reminded that the grounds are sacredly devoted to the burial of the dead and provisions and penalties of the law will be strictly enforced in all cases.
- The safest rule to adopt in visiting the Cemetery is “Touch nothing in the Cemetery that does not belong to you.”
- All persons are strictly forbidden to break or injure any tree or shrub, or mar any landmark, marker, or memorial, or in any way deface the grounds of the Cemetery.
- There shall be no hunting or fishing on Cemetery grounds.
- Beer and intoxicating liquors are strictly forbidden with the Cemetery.
- No form of solicitation by anyone will be permitted on the Cemetery grounds.
- The Cemetery shall be open from dawn to dark and anyone on the grounds other than during those hours will be considered a trespasser and dealt with accordingly.
No Interment services after 4:00 p.m.
For pricing and availability please contact the Cemetery at (850) 389-2092 x3005 or City Hall at (850) 389-2092 x1005.